If you’re an entrepreneur and you enjoy driving, then being an independent truck driver is the right career choice. There’s plenty of freedom, lots to see, and the potential to earn a good income as long as you protect yourself and your business by choosing the right owner operator truck insurance.

Whether you decide to remain a fully independent truck driver or operate under a lease, you’ll want to find the best commercial truck insurance.

At Girard Insurance Services, we can help. With nearly 25 years of experience in providing winning truck insurance quotes, our specialists can make sure you have the coverage you need at a price you can afford.

What kind of owner operator truck insurance is needed?

Liability insurance is the most basic requirement. Whether you own a single semi or you run a fleet of commercial vehicles, as an owner operator you’re required under federal law to have at least a minimum amount of coverage. And, you may want more in order to protect your business if there’s an accident.

If you’re leasing your truck to someone else, that driver is responsible for having liability insurance coverage. Still, if they don’t have an adequate amount, you should consider having your own additional liability coverage.

Beyond the basic liability coverage, you may also need one or more of the following:

Physical damage coverage is generally required by lenders who finance trucks. This typically covers the costs of damage or loss in case of collision, fire, or theft.

Equipment coverage can be added to cover additional equipment like tarps, chains and electronics.

Motor truck cargo insurance is required by the government in a minimum amount, but shippers usually require more in order to cover the cost of damaged or lost cargo that you haul.

Bobtail insurance covers your semi when you’re not towing a trailer.

Non-trucking liability or contingent liability insurance covers you when you’re driving under a lease and therefore already have liability coverage through the company you’re leased to.

Non-owned trailer insurance covers damages when you’re hauling a trailer owned by someone else.

Occupational accident insurance provides protection for you and your family by replacing or supplementing workers’ compensation benefits.

Work with insurance professionals

There are also other kinds of insurance that you may need to protect yourself and your business. The best way to determine which kinds of coverage you’ll need is to work with the owner operator truck insurance professionals here at Girard Insurance Services.

We can explain all options, so you can decide which kinds and amounts of coverage are best for your business. Most importantly, we offer quick, hassle-free claims service.

Call Girard toll free at 844-750-6003